A History of Schools In Bytown | Histoire des écoles de Bytown

Education in the early days of Bytown had few guidelines. Prior to a school being established, children were mainly educated by their parents, governesses, or sent away from home for schooling. Bytown’s first school, English Mercantile and Mathematical Academy was founded in 1827 on Rideau Street, the same year as the construction of the Commissariat building which now houses the BYTOWN MUSEUM. Not long after, numerous schools began popping up all over the city, including the first French school, which was created eleven years later in 1838 by Zoé Masson (née Quévillon) and admitted both boys and girls.

Ottawa Model School Pupils, 1904-05 (BYTOWN Collection, P1919)
Ottawa Model School Pupils, 1904-05 (BYTOWN Collection, P1919)
Boys in a Classroom, c.1903 (BYTOWN Collection, P3022)
Boys in a Classroom, c.1903 (BYTOWN Collection, P3022)

In July of 1848, Bishop Joseph-Bruno Guigues established St. Joseph’s College in Lower Bytown. It was a bilingual institution, and in 1849 it was renamed College of Bytown. It later became the University of Ottawa [Haig 1975]. (BYTOWN Collection, P384)
In July of 1848, Bishop Joseph-Bruno Guigues established St. Joseph’s College in Lower Bytown. It was a bilingual institution, and in 1849 it was renamed College of Bytown. It later became the University of Ottawa [Haig 1975]. (BYTOWN Collection, P384)
At the time, schools for teenage students, called grammar schools or district schools, were rare. Bytown saw its first high school in 1843, the Dalhousie District Grammar School, and opened its first university, St. Joseph’s College, in 1848. The following year it was renamed the College of Bytown, then in 1861 it became the College of Ottawa, and upon receiving status as a university in 1866, was called University of Ottawa.

One of the most distinctive institutes in Ottawa was the Ottawa Normal School. Built in 1875, the building is now part of City Hall, and was designated an historical site in 1974. “Normal School” was actually a common name for teachers’ colleges at the time. Applicants had to undergo an evaluation by a member of the clergy to make sure that they were morally fit to teach, The Normal School also featured separate doors for male and female students.

Ottawa Normal School Class of 1909 - Second row, second from the left sits Ellen “Ellie” Hardy Baskerville. She attended attended Lisgar Collegiate (then Ottawa Collegiate Institute) where she was the valedictorian before attending the Normal School.
Ottawa Normal School Class of 1909 – Second row, second from the left sits Ellen “Ellie” Hardy Baskerville. She attended attended Lisgar Collegiate (then Ottawa Collegiate Institute) where she was the valedictorian before attending the Normal School.
Normal School Fall Term, 1901, Ottawa (BYTOWN Collection, P2783)
Normal School Fall Term, 1901, Ottawa (BYTOWN Collection, P2783)

The Ottawa Collegiate Institute is another notable school in Ottawa’s history, still open under the name of the Lisgar Collegiate Institute. Established in 1843, this originally all-boys school began admitting girls in 1859. In 1874, the collegiate relocated to its current spot downtown at 29 Lisgar Street (known as Biddy Street at the time). A third illustrious early Ottawa school was the Ottawa Ladies’ College, organised in 1869, with the cooperation of the Presbyterian Church, after Ottawa had been declared the capital of Canada. The College trained young ladies from the age of six until their late teens. It moved to a new location at 268 First Avenue in 1914, and was sold in 1942. During the remainder of the Second World War, the buildings housed the Canadian Women’s Army Corps. Later the former Ladies’ College became Carleton College, a post-secondary establishment for returning soldiers.

Ottawa Ladies’ College, Albert Street (later moved to First Avenue), Ottawa, c.1890s (BYTOWN Collection, P2783)
Ottawa Ladies’ College, Albert Street (later moved to First Avenue), Ottawa, c.1890s (BYTOWN Collection, P2783)
The Ottawa Collegiate (BYTOWN Collection, p1705)
The Ottawa Collegiate c.1890’s (BYTOWN Collection, p1705)
Ottawa University (BYTOWN Collection, P1705)
Ottawa University c.1890’s (BYTOWN Collection, P1705)

Like the college, education in Ottawa has undergone significant changes over the past two hundred years. Nowadays, schools are much more accessible and children from all families have the opportunity to attend. In fact, Ottawa is hailed as home to the world’s greatest bilingual university (University of Ottawa) in addition to Carleton University, as well as Algonquin College and Ottawa is proud to welcome students from over 150 countries.

Rhea B. is a member of the Bytown Museum Youth Council and a student at Woodroffe High School.


Histoire des écoles de Bytown

Aux premiers jours de Bytown, l’éducation est peu encadrée. Avant l’ouverture d’une première école, les enfants sont essentiellement éduqués par leurs parents ou des gouvernantes, ou on les envoie en pension, loin de leur foyer. Fondée en 1827, la première école de Bytown, l’English Mercantile and Mathematical Academy, s’installe rue Rideau l’année même où est construit l’édifice du commissariat, qui abrite maintenant le MUSÉE BYTOWN. Peu après, nombre d’écoles s’installent dans toute la ville, dont une première école francophone créée 11 ans plus tard (en 1838) par Zoé Masson, née Quévillon, et qui accueille tant des filles que des garçons.

Élèves de l’Ottawa Model School, 1904-1905 (Collection BYTOWN, P1919)
Élèves de l’Ottawa Model School, 1904-1905 (Collection BYTOWN, P1919)
Garçons dans une salle de classe, vers 1903 (Collection BYTOWN, P3022)
Garçons dans une salle de classe, vers 1903 (Collection BYTOWN, P3022

En juillet 1848, l’évêque Joseph-Bruno Guigues fonde, dans la Basse-Ville de Bytown, le collège Saint-Joseph qui offre un enseignement bilingue. L’établissement, rebaptisé collège de Bytown en 1849, deviendra plus tard l’Université d’Ottawa [Haig, 1975]. (Collection BYTOWN, P384)
En juillet 1848, l’évêque Joseph-Bruno Guigues fonde, dans la Basse-Ville de Bytown, le collège Saint-Joseph qui offre un enseignement bilingue. L’établissement, rebaptisé collège de Bytown en 1849, deviendra plus tard l’Université d’Ottawa [Haig, 1975]. (Collection BYTOWN, P384)À cette époque, rares sont les écoles secondaires pour adolescents, appelées aussi écoles de district. La Dalhousie District Grammar School, première école secondaire de Bytown, est fondée en 1843. En 1848 ouvre la première université de la ville, le collège Saint-Joseph. Rebaptisé en 1849 collège de Bytown, l’établissement s’appelle à partir de 1861 collège d’Ottawa, puis en 1866, lorsqu’on lui accorde le statut d’université, il devient l’Université d’Ottawa.
À cette époque, rares sont les écoles secondaires pour adolescents, appelées aussi écoles de district. La Dalhousie District Grammar School, première école secondaire de Bytown, est fondée en 1843. En 1848 ouvre la première université de la ville, le collège Saint-Joseph. Rebaptisé en 1849 collège de Bytown, l’établissement s’appelle à partir de 1861 collège d’Ottawa, puis en 1866, lorsqu’on lui accorde le statut d’université, il devient l’Université d’Ottawa.

L’école normale d’Ottawa se classe parmi les établissements les plus caractéristiques de la ville. Construit en 1875, le bâtiment fait aujourd’hui partie de l’hôtel de ville, et il a été désigné lieu historique en 1974. L’école normale est à l’époque le nom donné aux collèges qui forment  des enseignants. Les étudiants hommes et femmes y accèdent par des portes distinctes. Chaque candidat est soumis à l’évaluation d’un membre du clergé qui vérifie que sa moralité cadre avec son futur rôle d’enseignant.

Semestre d’automne à l’école normale, 1901, Ottawa (Collection BYTOWN, P2783)
Semestre d’automne à l’école normale, 1901, Ottawa (Collection BYTOWN, P2783)
Classe de 1909 à l’école normale d’Ottawa. Au deuxième rang se trouve Ellen « Ellie » Hardy Baskerville (la seconde à partir de la gauche). Elle était major au Lisgar Collegiate (appelé alors l’Ottawa Collegiate Institute) avant d’entrer à l’école normale.
Classe de 1909 à l’école normale d’Ottawa. Au deuxième rang se trouve Ellen « Ellie » Hardy Baskerville (la seconde à partir de la gauche). Elle était major au Lisgar Collegiate (appelé alors l’Ottawa Collegiate Institute) avant d’entrer à l’école normale.

L’Ottawa Collegiate Institute, autre établissement notoire de l’histoire d’Ottawa fondé en 1843, opère encore aujourd’hui sous le nom de Lisgar Collegiate Institute. À l’origine réservée uniquement aux garçons, cette école admet les filles à compter de 1859. En 1874, le collège s’installe à son emplacement actuel, au 29 de la rue Lisgar, qui porte alors le nom de rue Biddy. Enfin, le troisième établissement historique illustre s’appelle l’Ottawa Ladies’ College. Il a été créé en 1869 avec la participation de l’Église presbytérienne, lorsque Ottawa est devenue capitale nationale. Ce dernier collège forme des jeunes filles âgées de 6 à l9 ans. En 1914, il déménage au 268 de la 1re Avenue, et il est vendu en 1942. À partir de ce moment-là jusqu’à la fin de la Seconde Guerre mondiale, le bâtiment abrite le Service féminin de l’Armée canadienne, puis il est converti en établissement postsecondaire destiné aux soldats revenus au pays.

L’Ottawa Ladies’ College, rue Albert (il déménage plus tard dans la 1re Avenue), Ottawa, vers les années 1890 (Collection BYTOWN, P2783)
L’Ottawa Ladies’ College, rue Albert (il déménage plus tard dans la 1re Avenue), Ottawa, vers les années 1890 (Collection BYTOWN, P2783)
L’Ottawa Collegiate vers les années 1890 (Collection BYTOWN, p1705)
L’Ottawa Collegiate vers les années 1890 (Collection BYTOWN, p1705)
L’Université d’Ottawa vers les années 1890 (Collection BYTOWN, P1705)
L’Université d’Ottawa vers les années 1890 (Collection BYTOWN, P1705)

À l’instar des collèges, l’éducation dispensée à Ottawa a subi d’importants changements au fil des deux derniers siècles. Aujourd’hui, les écoles sont plus accessibles, et les enfants de toutes les familles ont la possibilité d’être scolarisés. De fait, Ottawa jouit de la présence de la plus grande université bilingue au monde (l’Université d’Ottawa), et elle possède d’autres établissements de renom tels que l’Université Carleton et le collège Algonquin. La ville est fière d’accueillir des étudiants venus de plus de 150 pays.

Rhea B. est membre du Conseil des jeunes du Musée Bytown, et elle étudie à la Woodroffe High School.

Advertisements